Intermittent sensor connection issues can be caused by inconsistent power delivery over USB ports. This is more prevalent on Laptops and Tablets, but can still be an issue on Desktop and All-In-One PCs as well.
Laptops and Tablets have been seen to sometimes ignore the following settings. If issues continue to persist after the listed changes are performed, a Powered USB Hub may prove beneficial. This causes the power drawn by the sensor to come directly from a wall outlet instead of through a USB port.
Disabling USB Power Management would be the first recommended step, which can be done by following the provided steps below:
- Start Device Manager
Windows 10 - Right-click the Start Menu and then click Device Manager, or press Windows Key + X and then select Device Manager
Windows 8 - Press Windows Key + X and then select Device Manager
- Windows 7 - Click Start > Control Panel > System and Security > Device Manager (under System)
- Windows 10 - Right-click the Start Menu and then click Device Manager, or press Windows Key + X and then select Device Manager
- Expand Universal Serial Bus controllers and right-click any instance with the word "Hub" present and then click Properties
- From the Power Management tab, make sure Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power is unchecked and then click OK
- Repeat steps 2+3 as many times as necessary, then Restart the computer.
Disabling USB Selective Suspend is a suggested additional step that can increase the effectiveness of the previous change.
- Open Power Options
Windows 8/10 - Press Windows Key + X and then select Power Options
- Windows 7 - Click Start > Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Power Options
- Windows 8/10 - Press Windows Key + X and then select Power Options
- Click Change plan settings next to the currently selected Power Plan
- Select Change advanced power settings near the bottom of the listed options
- Press the plus sign (+) next to USB settings, and again next to USB selective suspend setting [once opened, the icon on the left will change from a plus sign to a minus sign (-)]
- Set both On battery and Plugged in to Disabled [If the only option exists under USB selective suspend setting, set it to Disabled]
- Click the OK button
Article Version 1.0 2020.1.6