An extreme slowdown of the Apteryx software, specifically when opening the program, accessing the patient list, or opening a patient's images, can be caused by multiple issues. These include a large database, antivirus software, incorrect tooth controls, a problematic server, or a problematic network. Each Apteryx program may or may not be affected by specific individual issues or by a combination of the listed issues. Below you can find our suggested resolutions to the most common of these.
- For a large database, Apteryx recommends either enabling Database Caching or Displaying Patient List Only When Search Criteria is Entered.
- Enable Database Caching
XrayVision: Click on Tools > Options > Database and enable Use database caching
XVLite: Select Preferences > Advanced > Database and enable Use database caching
DCV/XVCapture: Click on Advanced User Tools > Preferences > password is AKRON > Database Engine > make sure How should the database be accessed? is set to Cached Access
- The next time the software is started, the database will be cached in memory, which will speed up patient lookup.
- XrayVision: Click on Tools > Options > Database and enable Use database caching
- Displaying Patient List Only When Search Criteria is Entered
XrayVision: Click on Tools > Options > Patient > under Patient Index enable Only display patient list when search criteria have been entered
XVLite: Select Preferences > Advanced > Interface. Under the Patient Information section, enable the Do not display entire patient list option
- After enabling this setting, XrayVision will display a blank patient rolodex when the open Patient option is select to search and open a patient record within the software. In XVLite, the patient index on the main page will be blank. Matching patient records will only be displayed when the search criteria is entered by the user.
- XrayVision: Click on Tools > Options > Patient > under Patient Index enable Only display patient list when search criteria have been entered
If patients are always opened by bridging from a practice management program, then this setting may be ineffective.
- If an antivirus is actively scanning Apteryx software while in the process of running, it may easily slow the software down as the antivirus locks files necessary for the smooth running of Apteryx during its scan. Apteryx recommends adding our software to the antivirus software's exclusion list.
- The exclusion should be made for the entire folder containing the Apteryx software as well as the Apteryx executable itself (e.g. XVAssistant.exe)
- Exclusions should be made both on the local workstation as well as the server which holds the Apteryx installation (if applicable)
- In XrayVision version 3, if the tooth controls are pointing to a path that does not exist, then the Apteryx software may be running slow as a result of trying to resolve this path.
- Click Tools > Options > Tooth Control and examine the directory that the Adult Control and Deciduous Control are pointing to to determine if they are valid. If the tooth controls are pointing to a path that does not exist, then the Apteryx software may be running slow as a result of trying to resolve this path. If invalid, click on Select Adult Control and Select Deciduous Control buttons to navigate and select the appropriate directory (typically the bin folder in the install directory)
Optionally, upgrading to the most recent version of the software automatically corrects this path.
- If the server hard drive is full or has bad sectors, then the Apteryx software may run slowly or unpredictably. Please consult with your server administrator to determine the health of your server.
- If the network itself is slow, the Apteryx software will tend to run slowly as well.
Older wireless networks have a tendency to be slow, so Apteryx suggests having an installation of the software on the wireless PC with only the database networked or switching to a hardwired internet.
To troubleshoot slow networks, it is often sufficient to copy a large patient’s folder from the server to the PC and examine the speed of the copy process. Then, have the same folder copy/paste done from a PC where the software is running at normal speed in order to compare speed performances.
Disabling IPv6 can drastically improve the speed of the Apteryx software.
It is Apteryx policy to not touch Antivirus Settings, Firewall Settings, or Network Adapter Settings. Any changes needed to these should be handled by the office's IT department.
Article Version 1.0 2019.11.1
Please sign in to leave a comment.